Tuesday, February 09, 2010

To Go Back To School or Not That is the ?

Ben left school at the end of term 1 last year. Unfortunately Ben didn't leave with any qualifications. He came to live with us and managed to get a job at McDonalds thanks to friends in the business. He started off on a great note however, as the year progressed and Ben got a taste of freedom and money some of his decisions were not wise ones. Consequently he quit McDonalds and went back to the farming arena to work on his dads dairy farm.

Last week Ben rings me and tells me he is going back to school and that he had made an appointment with the deputy principle at Taieri College. To be honest I thought he was joking and I laughed out loud whilst on the phone. To which Ben said "so you wont support me then" and the laughing stopped. Yipes! he is serious, what to say? that was the question. As I listened to his case I could understand where he was coming from BUT he didn't do to well last time what would be different now?
I told Ben that I would support him 100% however, I knew I had my work cut out trying to convince Dave and true to my word as I told Dave the plan his face said it all. Furthermore Dave also had good points about why Ben should not go back to school.
And so I'm left stuck between a rock and a hard place how will it pan out that is the million dollar question. Stay tuned for the outcome.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

New Zealand is different than America. It is exceptionally hard to get a job that will actually sustain you if you don't have at least a high school education in America. So, I'm coming at this with a very American perspective. This is exactly what I would tell Ben, and maybe it is not accurate for New Zealand, but here it is: If you want to work jobs like you had at McDonald's for the rest of your life, don't bother going back to school. If you want something better, go back, don't be lazy, and get your diploma.

Mandy said...

Just an opinion, be it right or wrong, there are so many more opportunities for someone who has finished high school. I think it is very mature of Ben to make that decision on his own. As you know, we have a boy the same age as Ben and he's not making very good decisions regarding his education right now! Good on Ben.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails