Monday, August 31, 2009

Sunday

Being the 5th Sunday I get to do music in primary for the whole 40 min AWESOME!!! Today I divided them into teams Nephites, Laminites and the Jaradites and awarded points for great singing, harmony, reverence, remembering all the words etc. Then I gave each team a set of music pictures and they had to put them in order, this meant knowing the song word for word because the picture displays only some of the song. It was awesome to watch and listen too. Its amazing and great to see that competitiveness is still alive. I'm a firm believer in winners and loser's. These junior primary children where the most reverent well behaved and best singing ever. The all boy team, the Laminites were the winners lead by Captain Ben (who was glowing with pride) and he had much pleasure telling me that he was in his school choir AWESOME Ben!!!
Next it was the Valiant's turn to step up and again the competitive streak was even more so impressive as two of our lads tend to find primary a little boring hence at times can be somewhat disruptive. However making them team captain was a whole different story they were perfect awesome young men.
I am so proud of the children they work really hard all year to learn the songs and 90% of them know all the songs "off by heart" Being the last song they need to learn for the presentation means free range next month. I can guarantee that they all will still choose to sing the primary presentation songs except maybe the odd one who likes Called to Serve and Book of Mormon Stories.
The other interesting thing I did today in Primary clapped a rhythm to get the children's attention instead of my usual bellowing. To my amazement all the children responded with the same rhythm and stopped and were quiet. I learnt this technique at Nicholas school, so I wondered if it worked in Primary and YES!! it did. Captain Ben informed me that his teacher plays a little tune on a xylophone. I was so impressed I hope it works next Sunday???
I love 5th Sunday's, there should be more!!!!!

1 comment:

Angela said...

This is SO fantastic! I LOVE that you're doing the rhythmic clapping! You can even clap rhythms of primary songs to take it to a whole new level!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails