Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Kate starts daycare

Well finally I have given into sleep deprivation and Kate has started at the hospital daycare. Getting 1-2 hours sleep was taking its toll. (more grumpy than usual). I have had Kate name on the list since she was born and actually it has taken 17 month to finally get a placement for her. The hospital day care is very popular and has a wonderful reputation. I had a meeting with the manager and there are 70 children enrolled at the centre and all of them have parents that work in the hospital. They employ 35 staff that included 2 chefs and the builder and cleaners. The ratio for under 2's is 1/3 and 1/7 for over 2's which is really good. Government protocols are 1/5 for unders and 1/10 for overs. Its big and spacious, warm, very clean, and bright and just well organised.
Our visits were great Kate just went off to play and didn't look back. Deep down I thought she knows I'm still here. The proof will be when she is left by herself. When Nicholas started daycare it was a nightmare he cried and cried and for at least 6 months it was a disaster. It was more hard for Dave as he was the drop off person. However thanks to The Wiggles and Akon he finally settled.
Monday morning arrives and I get home from work Kate already to go. Dave and Kate in the car and I look at her with some sadness and a certain amount of hesistation. Many question of will she be ok etc. A kiss and she was off with her dad. I waited until 8am and rang Dave at work to my relief he said she took off to play with the dolls and Dave said goodbye Kate she turned and waved and said shee sha (which means see ya), bye. Dave was amazed and somewhere in the conversation said ïts like she doesn't need us anymore she is so independant"I think daddy was a little sad that she didn't cry etc.
I rang the centre just before I went off for 5 hours sleep amazing, to check all was good. Katie (her primary carer) informed she was great and its like she has been here many times.
When I picked her up she didn't even come running over to me she just looked and smiled and carried on sliding down the slide. I am so glad she feels safe and happy at daycare.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I am so happy that Kate is so comfotable at day care. Sleep, sleep, sleep!

Jasmine said...

Yay that's so good! I had a few friends that did a couple of postings at the hospital when we were studying and they loved it there! It's one of the best places - you chose good! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails