Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pride/Proud is there a Difference?

So the other day I was talking to someone and they asked me about my house and did I like it etc.  I replied by saying I loved the house and how Dave did a great job etc and then I said I'm really proud of him.  To which the so called person replied you can't be proud of your husband, pride is a sin.  I was somewhat puzzled by this and so I asked them "so what should I say instead" Conclusion I am well pleased with my husband. I'm still not sure about this what do my readers think????

I quiet often tell Nicholas and Kate that I am proud of them, am I wrong?

4 comments:

Sherry said...

I think there are multiple meanings of pride. Are you so proud of your husband or children (or yourself) that you don't see their faults? That's bad pride. But being pleased with something they've accomplished (or even something you've accomplished), I think is okay. As long as it doesn't impair your ability to see which areas of your life need work. I wonder if that makes sense?

Mandy said...

I had a similar experience this week!I was telling somebody about another mutual friend's trip they had just returned from. I said, "I am sooo jealous!" I said it lightheartedly. I am not literally jealous, as in envious at heart. I was told that I was sinning! (I wonder if it was the same person?) You are aboslutely allowed to be proud of your husband and your kids! The sin of pride within ones self that errodes humility, that is different.

Mandy said...

PS, changing the word proud to well pleased doesn't change how you feel.

Angela said...

1. I wouldn't spend too much time listening to people who make fault-finding a hobby. Love them, for sure, but don't pay their opinion of you too much attention.

2. I think this comes down to semantics. Sure, technically, stereotypical pride ("I am better than you") erodes people, families and societies...but appreciation does not...quite the opposite. You can appreciate your husband's hard work! And that is the meaning I would take from your use of the word here. If you said, "I'm proud of us having a nicer house than everyone else and me having a better husband than everyone else..." then, THEN you'd be judging and proud.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails