Friday, May 21, 2010

The Building Inspector from Hell







Whilst Dave works I am in charge of meeting the building inspector.  The previous inspectors were lovely and friendly and just came to do the job.  Building inspector number 3 ......... well what can I say about him?

I was to meet him at the house at 1.30pm I was prompt and waited, 1.45 no inspector, 2pm no inspector, 2.15 still no inspector at 2.26 the car pulls up. You can imagine I wasn't a happy camper but polite I remained.  Did he come and knock on the door oh no he walked around the house a couple of times and so I went outside to meet him:

Me:  "hello"
BI: "hello, I'm suppose to meet a Dave Finnie to inspect the brick work"
Me: I'm Paula Finnie the wife
BI: "hi but I'm suppose to meet Dave to do an inspection
Me: "he's at work and he told me to come and let you in and give you the consent papers"
BI: "Well it says on my paper Dave Finne"
Me: (in my head) "what part of he's at work did he not get" I smiled
BI: "Well i'm here to check out the brick work"

Now I'm not a brick layer or a builder and he starts telling me things I have no idea about. He insisted that we need some bars under the windows and doors. I asked him if Dave would know this? He should do was his reply and I wont be able to sign it off until its done. He started to notice things that were already signed off and suggested to me that this needed doing and so forth.  Go figure I had no idea what he was on about.  So I said I'm the wife not the builder I have no idea what you mean.  I asked him if he was going to do the pre-line inspection. No was his reply. I asked are you sure because my husband told me you were coming to check the bricks and the pre-line. No he replied. He then opens his planner to show me surprise surprise in the fine print it said brick work and pre-line inspection.  He then went on to say oh I didn't see that there. Funny the print was the same throughout.  I'll just go and get the moisture metre.  Few minutes later he returns I can't do the pre-line inspection I left my metre in Momona. I need to go back and get it you stay here and I'll be back.  I looked at my watch it was 2.55pm. I replied I'm sorry I can't stay I have to pick up kids from school.  I had offered to look after the Mendy clan for Amiee.  He then says well I'm sorry I can't sign it off without the metre. To which I said well I really need to get my kids from school, but I can come back. He then says I suppose that'll be alright then. I was some what hot around the collar by then, was it my fault he was late no, my fault hubby wasn't there no, my fault I'm not a brick layer or a builder no my fault he had left the moisture metre ...no, my fault I was the wife ok yes.

So I left to pick up all the kids thats 6 kids in the car and headed back to the house and waited and waited.  The BI finally turns up and tested the house for moisture content.  Was it over oh no it was just the beginning!!!! He asked me if I had a pink batts bag so he could check the correct size of batt in the walls and ceiling.  I said no we had a big clean up and all that rubbish had gone.  He goes on to say well I will need to see a receipt for the batts. To which I replied well I'm sure its at home somewhere.  Being a BI you would think by looking at the batts he would instantly know they were the correct ones.  He goes on to ask me if I knew what type of lighting we were installing. I told him just your normal lighting I'm not sure again I'm just the wife not the builder. I then asked him if he wanted to speak to Dave via a phone as I pulled out my phone ready to dial. He replied oh no I'm sure he knows what is required when it comes to lighting.  He then went on about the batts how there were some gaps that needed filled and straightened etc ...... By now it was 3.50 amd I was somewhat over him.  So I asked are you going to be any longer as I need to get all 6 children home.  Oh no just need to give you the paper work.  What a relief but you would think the paper work would be as simple as pushing a button but oh no its a much more complicated than that oh yes another 15 more minutes of waiting.  I had put all the kids in the car thinking the paper work would be quick. Six kids in a car not a great combination I opened the boot so the noise could travel to BI car.  As I sat on the bumper one of the kids said I'm bored whats taking so long.  I voiced my opinion loudly I'm bored too sorry its taking so long we are waiting for some paper work.

BI finally gives me the paperwork and then pointed out the spelling mistakes he had made. I smiled and bid farewell. 

I told everything to Dave and he knew which BI it was and so he rang the BI's boss and put in a complaint. The stuff he was pointing out had already been passed and approved from the other inspectors what should have been a 30min job took 2hours 40min.

May I never meet that BI ever again

3 comments:

Sherry said...

ARGH! How annoying! What is it with some people when they get a teensy little bit of power?

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered that building inspectors are there to ensure that a professional level of workmanship has been met? Sadly many times many builders take shortcuts, which flows on to the whole industry... I'm sure your Blogs would be more interesting reading if your husband/Builder was being prosecuted by OSH if, say a wall fell over and killed someone? I'ts happened before and sadly it will happen again.
May I be bold enough to put it to you that this inspector was actually doing his job and ensuring that building standards were adhered to, thus ultimately protecting the owner?
Cripes, just think how many less cowboy's would be in the industry if more building inspectors wouldnt sign off on shoddy workmanship in the first place?

Just food for thought eh... Maybe you could take a deep breath and see that somebody might actually be doing you a favour?

bubby69 said...

Hi I'm the husband builder,
I think the point here is that there was no inadequate building work in this case, as was confirmed by the previous inspector and by his boss who carried out the next inspection.
This BI consistently goes out of his way to make life difficult for builders, subcontractors and architects etc.
When you mention his name to anyone in the industry, they immediately respond with there own horror stories about their dealings with this guy.
My wife and I have always found all other BIs very professional and helpful to deal with, but this one simply shouldn't be working with the public.
We, in the industry, have no problem with having our work inspected, but we do have a problem being talked down to and being treated as guilty until proven innocent.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails