Monday, June 29, 2009

Saturday Night Date

We didn't make it to our usual Thursday night 'flick' date as nothing interested us, so we just stayed home. However, on Saturday night my husband took me to the Southern Sinfonia at the Dunedin Town Hall. Passion & Power was the theme. The company Dave works for sponsored the evening so free tickets (love freebies). We had pre nibbles/drinks very yummy.
The programme included Lilburn: Festive Overtune, Tchaikosky: Violin Concerto, The violinist Bella Hristova was amazing she was the winner of the Michael Hill International violin competition. What talent, she got a standing ovation. The last piece for the evening was Sebelius: Symphony No2. The great thing about this piece was the conductor Brett Kelly explained the piece before he started which was excellent it really allowed you to understand the music and when certain instruments played you knew what it was referring too.
I must admit that during some part of the concert I felt myself drifting off to sleepy land and I could hear myself snoring which woke me and then Dave and I got the giggles. We were really amused by the lady standing way up the back with two instruments a triangle and big symbols. I swear she struck that triangle about 4 times throughout one piece we laughed (quietly).
A very cultural evening and after drinks and nibbles were most appreciated. The bonus was we couldn't stay to long for the after function because I had to go to work. So we left and when I got home grab my gear and took Stacey home. Knowing I was going to be late I phoned work to let them know. My colleague said "but your're not working tonight" Really I said, "hang on I'll check the roster" "NO your're not working" YES I could go home and sleep for the night Great date!!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails