Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ben's Baptism

My son Ben has been living with us for over a month and its been a real joy having him. We had a couple of teething problems but they have been dealt with and all is good. He has a job working at MacDonald's and he's really enjoying it even though he has to start work at 5am.
Since Dave and I joined the church Ben has always come to church with us (when he was here on holiday). He has always joined in the church activities and loves going to young men's. Now that he lives with us full time he has been investigating the church for himself. One thing I have noticed about Ben is once he makes his mind up there's no going back. Example this " Now I'm going to be here and going to church I'd better get me a suite" He had saved some money and so off to the shops we went and 1 hour later and $500 a new suite and a nice jacket.
Well on Saturday night Ben arrives home at 10.30pm I told him the missionaries were looking for him today. He replies "oh yeah I was suppose to get baptised today" All news to me I must add... Ben continues "but I forgot. I'll get baptised tomorrow" WHAT!!!! I don't think that's possible Ben. Dave adds his 5cents worth "I don't think it will be a problem" Just text the missionaries see what they say. Ben gets my cellphone and here is what he says:
"Hi elders Ben here ummm I'll get baptised tomorrow okay"

Of course all I could think of was how was it possible I had nothing organised or planned what about the food after the baptism who would come at such short notice????? My brain was spinning around.

Elder Price rings back straight away and before I could think anymore the baptism was on. No pressure. Dave says it'll be fine nothing like a spontaneous baptism. I went to bed thinking how will this work??? Lucky I wasn't working night shift.

Sunday came and off to church we go I was a nervous wreck and Ben just cool calm and collective. The Elders were so excited they had the things in motion and people behind the scene were quietly working a miracle. Thanks to Elders, Phil and Ange this event would not have happen without your awesome support. I asked Annemarie and Kate to sing with me (not that I did a good job). We went home from church and I started to get lunch meanwhile thinking about the aftermath what could I cook that would be easy but filling. Dave was annoying me and just saying don't worry about just make scones. I started to feel a little stressed and before I knew it I was having a domestic with Dave and I wasn't a happy camper. People who know me know I like to be organised and have everything done. It just wasn't happening this day. To top it off Dave and Nicholas wanted to bake whilst I was trying to cook that was not helping me either. Then Ange rings I must have sounded firm or grumpy because not long after the phone call Ange text me and reminding me who didn't want me to be happy thanks Ange. I made pumpkin soup and scones and hoped that would be enough.
Come 3.30pm we arrive at the chapel Ben was whisked away to do things. I went to set out the chairs thinking well there won't be many attendance. I was out of the room taking photos of the boys and came back to the baptism room and it had filled up I was overwhelmed that so many people had turned up. It was so awesome to see the support there for Ben especially alot of youth were there my heart was filled with such happiness and love and joy.
Tapeka baptised Ben and Ivor Anderson gave a awesome talk. For such a spontaneous baptism it was an awesome and I definitely felt the spirit.
The aftermath at home was brilliant and I was glad Ben invited Wilson and Tapeka back for a meal I thanked them both for supporting Ben since he moved here.
I am so proud of Ben for making the decision to join the church. The courage it took for a 16 year old to make that step knowing that his dad would not be impressed ( a phone call to tell his dad confirmed it). Now he is focusing on going on a mission its just amazing like I said when Ben makes up his mind he jumps in 100%
The beauty of this for me is that all my children are in the church now I can watch them all grow in the gospel and hopefully their children and so on and so on I feel so blessed as a mum.
That seed that Phil and Annemarie planted in us 7 years ago has certainly blossomed I love them so much and so grateful they came along when they did. Who would have known that me as an Amazon carrying Tuptin (Annemarie) onto the stage all those years ago would come to so much now.
Elder Price, Tapeka, Ben, Elder Fullmer

4 comments:

Sherry said...

That is great news! I am really happy for you and your family. And just remember that the baptism is not about the party; it's about the baptism. It will be full of the Spirit (as it sounds like it was) regardless of who comes and what is eaten. :)

Heather said...

What a great day!! I am so happy for you and your sweet family. What wonderful examples you are to all around you. I agree with Sherry, it will be a day to forever remember, regardless of how organized it was or what food was prepared...

Angela said...

I have been looking forward to this post so much! And I have to chime in with Sherry and Heather on this one...when the Saviour approached John the Baptist, there was no programme, no food, and no notice! John just did as he was told, as he should. The ordinance is what matters, and what a blessing that Ben's special day has such a great story to go along with it! Good work, Mum!

Ana said...

Wish we could've been there - Jonty was asleep so I stayed home with him. You'll be happy to hear that he later awoke and cried and was extremely distraught that he had missed out. Really happy for you, and Ben and the fam :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails