Monday, November 10, 2008

Primary Presentation

It's over thank goodness, yes the Primary Presentation was held yesterday and it was more stressful than usual. First I receive a phone call from Kim (primary president) to tell me that a certain family were not going to be there due to illness. I wouldn't usually panick but the child in that family was my lead soloist so the anxiety kicked in a little. Approximately half n hour later my friend Amiee rings saying her son had jammed his fingers in the door and that they were off to the doctors and would be late ARRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!! thats 4 children not going to be there. I quickly prayed that all would be ok!!!!!!! Arrived at church and most of the children were sitting up the front. The chapel was very hot especially up the front my initial thought heat and children sitting for an hour is not a good combination. I quickly asked Matapihi if he would do the solo but he was too shy. So I asked Jamie the conversation went like this:
Me: "Jamie how confident are you to do the solo part for I am a child of God"
Jamie: (no hesitation) " I'm really confident where are the words"
Me: "I will have them by the mic"
Jamie: "ok"
This awesome child who is 7 or 8 years old was my life saver and she did a wonderful job, I am so grateful and admire confident children.
This years theme was I am a child of God. The primary children had a goal to learn and memorise all 8 songs I am a child of God, Tell me the stories of Jesus, If the Saviour stood beside me, Home, We thank thee O God for a Prophet, I love to see the temple, When Jesus Christ was baptised and Called to Serve. They did a great job and most of the children achieved this goal. As the music leader I thought it might be a tall order to fill but I was so proud of them.
Its so hard conducting the children ages ranging from 4years to 12years. Getting the children to sit still and not swing on the chairs is impossible and some struggle more than others. As I was conducting little Jonty was picking his nose and was just about to eat it I can him the Yuck look and he tries to hid it behind his back and covers his eyes only to repeat it again a few minutes later. Meanwhile up the back my son Nicholas either had a sugar fix that I don't know about but he couldn't sit still to save himself and when it came to singing the songs he would hide in the corner then it came to his talk which we had practice at home and he knew it decided to pull the shy card and did not speak even when his dad went up to help him (I was not a happy mum). Its amazing how much you see conducting and all I wanted to do was yell "stop that" "sit still" "Please don't do that" Some of my facial expression helped but you know children they know that your'er not going to stop the flow to start over again.
After it was over a sense of relief came over me however I felt that it didn't go as smoothly as last years. Next year I will try a better strategy to teach them as the hand signals are too distracting for the congregation that they watched me instead of the children.
The highlight for me was out of the 30 primary children 23 of them are boys and getting boys to sing at the best of times is a mission but they did it. After the presentation we headed off to normal class and I gave them the option of singing any primary song most opted to sing the primary presentation songs. So now I can chill and start thinking about next year...................

1 comment:

Angela said...

No matter how you felt it went, I must remind you, Haki leaned over and whispered, "I miss Primary". He was looking at you as he said so. Your actions were the highlight, go you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails