Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Public Speaking

A month ago I was asked if I would give a talk at church. I smiled at brother Anderson and said sure love too (not). Give me a song no worries I'll sing to the world no problem but talking is another issue. My topic was on obedience and enduring to the end. I immediately thought back to my days at Polytech whilst doing my degree in nursing and thought about those assignments I had to write and how it took alot of effort, tears and stress. I'm not the best writer and my grammer is somewhat short fall. My boss at work during my time at poly would sometimes read my assignments and laugh saying "Paula you write like you talk" thank heavens someone introduced me to thesaurus. My tutors always wrote on my assignments that my language was too basic and that I needed to write academically. So thesaurus became my life line by changing words like but to however or furthermore or here's a good one I would use moreover soon my assignments became I suppose academic. The hours of researching a topic and then trying to write it on paper was so hard I would spend weeks to get the 1500 word essay finished. Whilst some of my class mates would write the essay the nightbefore its due and still manage to get A+ for me it was C+ or if I was lucky a B. One student always told me C's gets degree's. I'm so glad those days are over (for now anyway).
So here I was faced with this talk and stress, anxiety kicked in. Lucky my husband was able to help me. The great thing about giving this talk was I learn't something about obeying god and Jesus Christ I have always thought that I had better obey them or who knows what punishment they will dish out to me, when really I should obey the commandments etc willingly because I love and want to serve god and Jesus Christ.
Saturday night I sat up until midnight polishing the last pieces. Everyone had gone to bed so I couldn't run it by anyone to see if it sounded okay. Sunday came I was sitting at home reading over the talk and stressing about it. So I decided to go and support Dave who was running the full marathon (first time) and yes it was on the Sabbath day but supporting him really help take my mind off it for a while. Dave finished 14th out of 159 with a time of 3hrs 6min and 3sec (AMAZING). Now because he had finish sooner than anticipated we were able to get home and make it to church on time. Dave appreciated the support and so he said now its his turn to support me. I knew Sherry and Phil were also talking on so I thought if I go first and my talk was a total flop then at least Sherry and Phil's talk will take the focus off it. Sitting waiting for my name to be called "BLAST" Sherry was the first speaker President Gaskill could see the nervousness on my face as well as the disappointment that I would be second speaker he smiled at me (which didn't help my cause). Sherry's talk was awesome very clear logical and to the point. I started reading mine again and thought well I've done my best and hopefully the spirit will guide me. I was sweating and so hot and so glad when the talk was over. Dave said it was a great talk which was a relief as I did tend to talk about him a lot. Meanwhile Andy Gillies whispered you talk way better than you sing (not to sure about that). Roy Jenner commented that I do tend to talk about my family a lot and seem to put it out there. To which Andy replied that's what makes it more realistic. I hope my next talk will be in three years time when hopefully I will have more knowledge and confidence.........................

1 comment:

Sherry said...

You gave a great talk! And I'm glad I got to go first so I could just relax and enjoy it. :)

Also, writing talks isn't quite the same as writing academic papers because when you're speaking you want people to be able to follow your thoughts without any questions or confusion. Whereas, if you're writing, you know they can always go back and read something over. They can't do that if you're talking. I studied communications at uni for a while, and the differences in writing a story for a newspaper and writing a story on the same topic for radio/t.v. are astounding! You want shorter sentences in radio, and you keep it nice and simple. So, it's right up your alley, I guess?

Also! After we took Stacey home the other night, I said something to Eric about you, and it clicked with him that you are Stacey's home. He was SHOCKED! I said, "Well, who did you think Stacey's mom was?" "I don't know! I don't think about these things!" Anyway, thought you'd appreciate that he didn't think you could possibly be old enough to be her mom.

Er. Mum, that is. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails