Friday, March 12, 2010

Amiee's Beetroot

My dearest friend has an awesome garden which tends to grow rather rapidly and for a few weeks Amiee has been talking about bottling some of the veges before they go to seed.  So I went over to help her out as she hadn't bottled beetroot before and I have had some experience in this field.

First I went and picked the beetroot and WOW!!! they were the biggest beetroot I have ever seen they were like bowling balls.  Whilst ripping them out of the ground it started to rain and so I did get rather damp but it wasn't going to stop me. I had a mission and I was focused on getting that beetroot in a jar.

Bowling Ball Beetroot


Now I am use to preserving normal/baby beets so my initial thoughts were these babies are going to take alot longer cooking than the norm.  I generally use just a basic recipe ie vinegar, sugar, and water.  However Amiee mother has a special recipe which involved pickling spices and cider vingegar and sugar.  As we didn't have the recipe we just made it up and I must stay it had a diffinite punch.  So two days later we finally finished those beasts We managed to get 12 large jars.




1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

You are a gem blogging about this!! Now what am I supposed to blog about!!! They do look awesome though don't they!! Love ya xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails